Saturday, July 12, 2008

Jean Georges, NYC

Having had a fantastic time at Per Se the previous week we decide to cross the road to Jean Georges, the other three Michelin rated restaurant in NYC. Personally I felt as if I was rolling up the steps of the Trump Tower after last week's sojourn.

The day was hot and muggy the mood was light and high spirited what other way to start of our meals than with cocktails of black cherry yuzu, passion fruit lime soda and gewurtztraminer navaro vineyards grape?




Starter
1: Frisee salad, fresh melon, pistachio and buttermilk
Starter 2: Chilled asparagus soup, brie and lemon
Starter 3: Foie gras brule, pineapple-meyer lemon jam



Although simple in appearance the frisee salad was a well coordinated combination of simple well known flavours on the palate, suitable for the hot day and sufficiently light for an appetiser.

Do not let your eyes fool you, despite being visually unattractive the asparagus soup was just what the diner ordered for a hot muggy day. The coolness of the soup soothing on the tongue and as it travelled to the stomach.



Perhaps it is because I've had foie gras three times in less than a week. Perhaps it is because I'm not a fan of the pate foie gras variety. Perhaps my expectations of a delicacy such as foie gras was higher. Or perhaps because yesterday's foie gras at Rayuela had absolutely blown my mind away but whatever it was today's foie gras was nice but failed to bring me to the heights gratification I thought I would experience. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it with the complimentary constantly warmed Jean Georges bread.


Entree 1: Grilled chicken breast, cucumber and shiso salad
with ginger butter
Entree 2: Tuna tartare, avocado, spicy radish ginger marinade




Yes guys as lovable as Americans can be they do have some peculiar habits and that includes calling mains entrees!!! I can hear Tubby going what the??? Anyway back to the food... the chicken was grilled to perfection, despite the difficulties of grilling chicken breast our chickens were succulent, moist and well marinated.

However, it is not the chicken that is the highlight of the day but the tuna tartare. Having had a lot of tartare in my life I can say that this is the best tartare I have ever had, in fact it is one of the best dishes I have ever had in my life. The marinade is a flawless and delicate balance of spiciness, sweetness, tanginess and savouriness. The taste of the radish, the ginger, the tuna and the avocado simply exploded in my mind simultaneously. After putting the last spoonfuls in my mouth I am already planning to come back next week, the week after and so on...


Dessert 1: Crimson red plum, sichuan pepper meringue, green tea angel food cake and plum wine sorbet
Dessert 2: Coffee chibouste, cocoa nib biscuit, pine nut sable, cocoa nib sorbet
Dessert 3: Citrus semi freddon with margarita gel almond sponge and dehydrated grapefruit
Dessert 4: Coconut and mango-mint vacherin with fresh passion fruit



Call me picky but what can I say I was less than impressed with the strange concoction of plum goo sitting on my plate and one bite confirmed it. Whatever it was I had had enough.

The coffee chibouste and sorbet disappointed simply because Jean Georges is a three Michelin rated restaurant. However, there was really nothing to complain about and I happily lapped up the crumbs.

At first reluctant to order yet another dessert I was finally convinced by my fellow diners that our stomachs did indeed have capacity. For this I am grateful... the coconut and mango-mint vacherin with fresh passion fruit is close to knocking my favourite dessert of its pedestal. Just one bite was all it took to convince me that this was love. The coolness, the smell, the taste, the beauty of it all it was as if this light, creamy, tangy, sweet, cool, citrus like dessert had managed to not just heighten but bring to life all the senses I had in my body. Paradise was playing with my taste buds.

After such an experience I was easily convinced that yet another dessert was in order. Although
the citrus semi freddon with its dehydrated grapefruit on any day would have been delectable after experiencing the heavenly vacherin I could think of nothing else. However, with no room left in my growing stomach we instead agree to come back for the Degustation menu another day, I mentally make my own plans to go back just for the tartare and vacherin by myself!!!

Jean Georges
1 Central Park West
NYC NY 10023
Phone: 212 299 3900


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shirley, tip: you might want to reduce the size of the photos you've uploaded. They take up quite a bit of space I think (not sure whether it's limited on blogspot).

Anyhow,you know, I've never had tartare before (yeah, I know, how uncultured am I?) so I've always wondered about not only the taste, but the texture in particular. To be entirely honest, it scares me a fair bit. And I always wonder...is this safe to eat? Well good to know that you enjoyed it.

Oh and "what the!" INDEED at those main entrees (though privately, I'm thinking "that would mean there are more than one entree, correct?" with a gleam in my eye, hands rubbing excitedly.

- Tubby (Jen Jen)

Tubs said...

Sis,

Okies I'll reduce the pictures as requested master :P Ok when you come to NY I'll intro you to all the tartare in the world...only at nice places of course in case you get food poisoning :P Mum and dad will kill me!!!!

No it's just like in Australia if you order a main you get one. The reason why we get alot all the time is because I'vebeen getting degustation menus :P Also here I'm sharing even though it's not a degustation...

xxx

Tubs