Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Bun Bo Hue Gia Hoi



'Bun Bo Hue Gia Hoi' is a fairly new addition to Bankstown's restaurant strip. Across the road is another new addition, 'Bun Bo Hue Ben Ngu', and yes both arrived at approximately the same time and yes both are competitors (and YES, both serve bun bo hue as their specialty). First of all, what is bun bo hue? It's a spicy beef noodle soup that originated from the Imperial Hue City (in central Vietnam). Does it taste like pho? Well, no...quite different actually. Bun bo hue is much spicier for one (due to the addition of different spices whch gives it a reddish hue), is stronger in flavour, and has a subtle fragrance of lemongrass. However, a similarity is that both noodle soups are made from beef broth.

Mmm...spicy!

Once upon a time (a long, long time ago), mini me ate bun bo hue, thought it disgusting and then never ate it again -until recently. So really, bun bo hue is quite alien to me; from what I could remember of it before dining here, the taste of the broth irked me...strange flavoured and a pungent smell...but boy, did 'Gia Hoi' change my opinion.

Now back to the restaurant competition. I myself won't judge because I've only eaten at 'Gia Hoi', however my parents and their friends have tried the specialty at both eateries. According to them, both places serve bun bo hue of a very similar taste (rest assured, this means both are VERY nice) and about the same prices (very cheap) but the difference...was the service and ambience.
From the wise words of my picky dad: "I'd rather pay more if it meant I was provided with decent service and clean cultery". That 'Ben Ngu' doesn't provide...apparently. So from my parents and co's perspective, 'Gia Hoi' is the favourite of the two. But don't let that stop you from eating at either, try both and form your own opinions. If you're after cheap grub that burst with flavour, I'm sure you'd be pleased with both.

Back at Gia Hoi, most dishes are under $10. I ordered a medium serving of the bun bo hue and even so, the size was quite a whopper of a size. I don't think I could do justice to the 'large' serving... Service? Pretty basic but they do they their job with a smile -no complaints from me. Ambience? Again, pretty basic but relatively clean. Hey, you can't ask for too much with food at this price! Bun bo hue? Absolutely delicious and slurp-ilicious! And tip: remember to add a dash of the sate sauce!

Bun Bo Hue Gia Hoi

299 Chapel South Rd, Bankstown NSW 2200

2 comments:

foodie.jenius said...

Hey! This looks awefully similar to my visit to Dong Ba... By the looks of the address, they might even be next door! Check it out -
www.jenius.com.au/2007/03/dong_ba_bankstown.html

X_x said...

that place looks awesome... I would love to try it someday